How to Style a Tray

Hi friends! Today I’m thought it might be fun and helpful to talk decor a little and share some tips on how to style a tray.

Let me tell you a little story. When I was younger thinking about what I wanted to be when I grew up, I wanted to study Interior Design. I’ve always loved decorating. The college I wanted to attend didn’t offer Interior Design as a major, but did as a minor. (Doesn’t that sound funny now? I feel like kids don’t so much major and minor any more, but get a degree.) Anyway, I decided going to the school of my choice outweighed the “major” I wanted, so I ended up with a degree in Art/Advertising and a minor in Interior Design.

I’ve helped lots of friends with design ideas, I’ve been on a decorating committee for building a new church, and always done our homes as well. I’m thinking maybe I should start introducing some design posts here. What do you think about that? Maybe once a month I’ll have a post like this where I give ideas for a room makeover or accessorizing? Give me your thoughts in the comments.

Let’s get to talking trays and a few tips. I L O V E using trays for decorating. They make a statement, can be a gathering place for various design elements, and are visually diverse.

Tips for styling a tray

• Vary elements to tell a visual story
  • Use odd numbers, not even. The number 3 is always good.
    This rule applies not only to trays, but other areas of decor.
  • Layer objects that tell a story and share your personality
  • Vary heights, textures and colors
  • For height, a vase with blooms works well
  • A box to hold remotes or books stacked help break up the flat surfaces
  • Candles in flat or tall containers
  • Smaller architectural elements on top of books
  • Bolder architectural elements as a third element
STYLING A TRAY

SHOP OBJECTS TO STYLE A TRAY AND TRAYS

TRAYS

VASES AND FLOURS

CANDLES AND ARCHITECTURAL ELEMENTS

BOOKS

Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. You can also sign up to receive blog posts by email whenever a new one is published. Just scroll to the top and put your email in on the right.

1. Andrea Nine
    February 7, 2022 / 5:04 am

I’m all about these terrific tray tips! Adds such nice elements and warmth to any home!

2. Susan Stancliff
    February 7, 2022 / 7:16 am

I would love decorating tips! I just purchased a tray and am glad for new ideas. Thanks!

3. Michele
    February 7, 2022 / 9:59 am

I was really hoping to see a tray you had decorated for your home. Showing the individual items is great, but actually seeing them come together on a tray would be so helpful. I would definitely enjoy decorating/design ideas for future posts. I love being that nosy neighbor who gets a look into someone’s home. 😊

4. Patt
    February 7, 2022 / 10:50 am

I would like to see more of these types of posts. I am slowly learning about decorating and having a “pro” to guide us would be great!
    You mentioned once that you went to Libscomb. We took our daughter there for a weekend visit when she was in high school. She also went to Harding for a few events to check it out, but in the end decided to go to our local state university.

5. Sandy Fought
    February 7, 2022 / 12:54 pm

I would like to see posts about interior design also! It never hurts to get new ideas that I never thought of!

6. February 9, 2022 / 5:06 pm

I use trays in decorating a lot and love them! Yes, you should add a monthly post to your blog. Have a wonderful rest of the week!