It’s been a while since I’ve shared a recipe. A few weeks ago we were celebrating Kent’s birthday, and I was trying to figure out what to make. We’d recently had steaks, so I didn’t want to make those again. I was wracking my brain. We love pasta, but rarely eat it. #carbs Anyway, I remembered something we haven’t had in a long time and B-I-N-G-O, I knew what we were having. Penne A’la Vodka.
Penne A’la Vodka
- 1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 T Butter
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Shallots, minced
- 1 C Vodka
- 1 C Chicken Stock/broth
- 1 32oz Crushed Tomato
- 1/2 C Heavy Cream
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Shrimp or Scallops
- 1 Box Penne
- Parmesan Cheese
- Heat large skillet, add oil, butter, garlic & shallots
- Saute 3-5 minutes
- Add Vodka, reduce by half (2-3 minutes)
- Add chicken stock & tomatoes, bring sauce to a boil and simmer 5-10 minutes
- Season with S&P
- While sauce simmers, cook pasta according to pkg leaving slightly al' dente
- Saute scallops or shrimp in separate skillet
- Stir cream into sauce. When sauce returns to a boil, turn down heat to keep warm.
- Drain pasta and toss with sauce. Add scallops/shrimp and top with basil. If desired, add shredded Parmesan cheese. (fresh is best)
Not only is this pasta dish easy, it’s as good as any version you’ll find in any Italian restaurant. Kent is a huge fan of scallops, so that’s what I decided to make with it. I was super excited that when I seared these, and they turned out perfectly. In the past, I’ve had a hard time making that happen. I used this method, and will from now on. I left out the butter, and I bought my scallops in the freezer section of Trader Joe’s.
If you happen to be new around here, I hope you’ll sign up to receive my posts by email. Just scroll back up to the top and fill in the box on the left above my picture. I’d also love it if you’d follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter. Just click the little icons below or the links in blue above and thanks a million!