How to find the Perfect Summer Hat

Hey y’all. Well summer is upon us and hats seem to be having a moment. Whether you wear one on the daily for the sake of fashion, or like me, just wear one for sun protection, there are hats a plenty out there. I wore a baseball hat when in the sun for years and years, but decided a couple of years ago to transition to something a little larger to also help protect my chest. On a side note: It’s so important to guard our skin from the sun, but particularly our faces. Nothing ages a woman’s face like sun damage. You feel me? Since I’m on the hunt to find the perfect summer hat. Today I’m going to share a recent order I placed at Nordstrom for 5 different (albeit similar) hats, and tips on how to find the perfect summer hat.

There was a period of time back in the early 90’s when I did actually wear a few hats…channeling my inner Princess Diana. This happened to coincide with when Kent and I met. He has always liked me in hats. I don’t know if it’s because they legit look good or because they bring those feelings you have when you are first getting to know that special someone. Either way, he still likes it when I put a hat on. #ithinkthatssweet

At the end of the post, I’ll share a few tips for deciding on a hat that works for you.

First up is the Joanna straw hat. I decided to show all of these with my hair down and up. This one was my favorite. It was a size medium, but I actually needed a small.

The smallest of all the hats was this woven raffia hat. I think it looks cute with my hair up, when it’s down, my hair outweighs the hat.

I’ve seen women at the beach wearing these “visors” with the top cut out and thought they were cute…on them. Not so much on me. However, look how easy it would be to pack. It’s also crazy how the roots of my hair look totally gray in this hat. #notagoodlook

This Mesa Packable Straw hat was pretty good and I had pretty good visibility with it. Some of them came down so far on head that my line of vision was really blocked.

Last up for this round was this Wide Brim Straw hat. Most of these hats have “bendable” edges allowing you to slightly alter the shape. Again, this one was hard as far as seeing with it on, but was a cute hat.

Shop these hats here

Target is another good resource for hats and here are my top picks

I’ve concluded that hats look best on me with my hair up. I think maybe all this hair competes too much with the hats. Of course I have had several inches removed since taking these pictures.

There are a bunch of hats out there. I also tried this one from Amazon that a ton of bloggers have and it looks so cute on them, but we (Kent & I) didn’t think it looked all that great on me. Here are a few more choices from Amazon.

Now let’s talk tips for finding the right hat for you.
1~ Look for hats that match your features. If you have a smaller face with more delicate features, you’re going to want a hat that’s not huge and going to over power your face.
2~ Hats are kind of like humans. Opposites attract. If you have a round face, you’re not going to want a hat with a rounded top. You’ll want something with a more structured/angular feel.
3~ If your face is long look for a hat with a broader brim or a floppy hat will help offset the length.
4~ If your face is square or you have a really strong jaw line, go for a floppy hat or something with softer lines.
5~ Heart shaped faces are the luckiest. They look good in most all hats.

So what are your thoughts on hats? Do you wear them? Maybe you have a collection. I can see how that could happen once you get one or two…kinda like shoes. LOL

If you’re new or even if you’ve been around a while and haven’t already, I hope you’ll subscribe to receive posts by email. Just scroll back up to the top and fill in the box on the left above my picture. You won’t get spammed, just an email anytime a new post is published, so you never miss out. I’d also love it if you’d follow me on InstagramFacebookPinterest and Twitter. Just click the little icons below or the links above and thanks a million!

May 20, 2019 / 4:39 am

Great tips on finding a hat! I love that first one with your hair down – you are too cute and look like a teenager! I have a few hats and wear them mostly for sun protection. When I wear a hat for fashion I have to make sure I am keeping it on the whole time otherwise my hair is destroyed! Hat head is real for me!

• May 20, 2019 / 8:57 am

You are just to sweet and make me feel so good! I wish I looked as cute as you in the Amazon hat!!! Yes, hat head is for real…for me too. What a hot mess when you take it off. LOL Happy Monday! XOXO

2. May 20, 2019 / 5:13 am

I love this post, Lisa! So much great information about hat wearing. Unfortunately, I don’t wear one. Not even a ball cap. Hats and my short hair just don’t mix well, but I am one of your friends that wears a sun visor while I’m at the beach or our pool. Hope you’re having a great MOnday!

• May 20, 2019 / 8:57 am

I know you look darling in a visor. I’d wear one except my mom was always telling me to keep my hair covered to keep it from bleaching more. #daughterofahairdresser. LOL
      Happy Monday!!! XOXO

3. May 20, 2019 / 6:09 am

I hadn’t seen those visors. My hair is thin enough that I need the entire protection from the hat. Hey, my hair’s going to get messed up anyway, so why not all of it??
    As for the packable trait…I wish they all were. That’d make vacation so much easier!!
    Super cute, Lisa,

• May 20, 2019 / 8:56 am

Several of these were “packable”, but I’m not sure how they’d really do. The one I’ve worn in previous years, I just stuff with clothes and then turn it upside down and pack around it. That seems to work pretty well. XO

May 20, 2019 / 6:44 am

I love these hats on you! I just always were a regular old ball cap!

• May 20, 2019 / 8:56 am

Thanks Heather! That was me too until I decided it was time to try and kinda protect my chest a little. I still love my ball caps though and wear them when I walk! Happy Monday! XO

5. May 20, 2019 / 7:24 am

What a fun experiment, Lisa! I’ve purchased and returned several straw hats this spring and am getting kind of embarrassed about the whole thing. Personally, I’m drawn to the woven raffia hat and think you look just as good with your hair up or down. Did you decide on one?

• May 20, 2019 / 8:43 am

Thanks Kim! Well…I actually went with one I found at Costco…LOL (and of course now it’s even on sale. HA!) I was too lazy to take another pic since these were taken weeks ago. Happy Monday! XO

May 20, 2019 / 7:48 am

Oh my goodness what fun, I hardly ever see you in a hat and you look incredible in them! Hard to pick a favorite but I have to say mine would be number 4. the packable hat. Mr. Nine hates those visors with a passion but I think they are so cute! Great idea for a post girlfriend and wishing you a marvelous Monday!

• May 20, 2019 / 8:43 am

Thanks friend! As always you are too kind. I hope you have a super week! XOXO

7. May 20, 2019 / 9:09 am

So many cute and stylish hats! I like the Joanna best of all and think it is really flattering on you. I like wearing hats, but with my hair as short as it is currently they don’t look as good as when my hair is a bit longer. Happy Monday, Lisa!

• May 20, 2019 / 10:13 am

Thank Jennie! I do think hats are harder with short hair..which is kinda weird since so many people wear ponytails with hats. Go figure! HA! XO

8. May 20, 2019 / 2:53 pm

Fabulous post! I’ll tell ya- finding the right hat is no easy task is it? The struggle is real sista. 😀 That Joanna hat looks like it was made for you! SO beautiful. Thanks for such an informative and helpful post.
    ~Melissa xx

May 20, 2019 / 4:01 pm

Ohh, what a great post!! I just got a floppy packable hat for Maui. I should see how it looks with my hair up, I’ve only looked at it with my hair down.

• May 27, 2019 / 9:48 am

Yay!!! I’m so excited for your trip. I took mine to HI and wore it all day every day! XO

10. May 20, 2019 / 7:21 pm

I love the Joanna straw hat on you! It’s my favorite on you too! It’s a good idea to try hats with your hair down and up. These are wonderful tips! I have a long face so I like floppy or wide brim hats, too!

• May 27, 2019 / 9:48 am

Mine too. I was back in Nordstrom this weekend and tried the small and it was too tight. Whaaaa. My melon is just the wrong size for that one. HA!

11. May 21, 2019 / 5:18 am

These are great tips! It’s hard to find a hat that’s just right! I never thought to try them with my hair up and down, such a good idea! The Joanna hat is my favorite on you too!

12. Jean | DelightfulRepast.com
    May 21, 2019 / 10:01 am

Great tips for hat shopping! I love hats but rarely wear them these days. Went through a hat phase in my 20s when I was a bit of a fashionplate! Now I mainly wear them when I go out for a posh afternoon tea. #SpreadTheKindness

• June 29, 2019 / 1:44 pm

I don’t wear them frequently either, Jean, but love them for in the sun. Happy Saturday!!! (sorry for the delayed response….it got filtered out for some reason.)

May 21, 2019 / 6:36 pm

Oh this was really fun to see! You’re so lucky to have such great hair and have the option to wear your hair down with a hat! I honestly think you look good in all of these, though it’s interesting that some look better with hair up and others with hair down (in my opinion!). Anyway, fun post idea!

• May 27, 2019 / 9:38 am

Thanks Gina! It is weird how it depends from hat to hat. Happy Monday friend! XO

14. May 21, 2019 / 7:06 pm

It really is a lot tougher to find a summer hat that works than it seems. I tried on a ton before I found my beach hat. These are cute options. I especially like the first one.
    x, Julie | ThisMainLineLife.com

• May 27, 2019 / 9:38 am

Thank Julie! I know, it doesn’t seem like it should be so difficult. LOL

15. May 22, 2019 / 3:32 am

The first one is my favorite as well! But I think you look cute in all of them – including the visor hat. 😉

• May 27, 2019 / 9:38 am

You’re sweet Chrissy! The first is my fav too. I was in Nordstrom this weekend and tried on the small and it’s too small.?The medium is too big. My melon is the wrong size. HA! XO

16. May 22, 2019 / 10:48 am

You sure rock a hat! I thin they all look good on you, both big and small. Great tips too. Thanks for joining #WowOnWednesday!