Tiered Tray 101

Happy Monday friends! I’ve had this post planned for quite a while and finally decided it was high time. So many of you, like myself love to decorate and have been bitten by the tiered tray bug. They are so cute and fun to decorate and play around with. You can do them seasonally, themed or for holidays.

Not everyone feels confident in putting one together though and I’ll admit when I first got mine, I wasn’t totally convinced I’d be able to pull it off and make it look the way I envisioned.

So today I’m going to share a few tips and hopefully helpful hints to help you with your tiered stands.

Metal 3 tiered tray || Wooden 2 tiered tray

I currently have 2 tiered trays…well, really 3, but one isn’t currently in use, and I’m thinking about ordering this one for my bathroom counter. The metal 3 tier is available on Amazon, but if you have a Hobby Lobby, you’ll be able to score one there for half off if you watch the sales. The wooden one, I’ve only seen on Amazon and it’s currently cheaper than it was a few months ago if you’ve been waiting.

Here we have our blank canvas all ready to be prettied up. Don’t let it intimidate you. For these stands, more is more is the most accurate way to think.

A great place to start is just by looking around your own house, in the cabinets, and on shelves for small objects that will fit nicely on the tiers of your tray. Think mugs, candles, small pictures, wooden blocks, plants, etc…

My favorite places to shop for tiered tray fodder are:
Hobby Lobby
Home Goods
Marshall’s
TJMaxx
Target Dollar Spot
Michael’s
Jo-Ann Fabrics
Amazon
We are getting a Kirkland’s this spring and I have a feeling it will be another good source for this type things.

Start by placing a few of the larger items on the tray, spaced out kind of in the shape of a triangle.

Start adding in smaller objects to fill in the blank spots.

Put small plants in mugs, sugar dishes or other small containers.

If your tray is on a table, you’ll want it to be full all the way around, but if it’s against a wall, the back doesn’t need to be full, so cut yourself some slack. ?

I have a video saved in my highlights on my Instagram of this process if you want to take a look, and if you aren’t already following along on Instagram, I’d really love for you to.

I also have a Pinterest board full of tiered trays for ideas and inspiration. You can follow it here and all my other boards here.

Find all kinds of things for your trays here…

February 18, 2019 / 3:51 am

You already know hw excited this makes me!! And it will make so many of your readers jump for tray joy!! I have been waiting for this! I am sharing my Tray for St. Patrick’s next Monday. I am of course gathering up my Easter and Springy stuff as well. So much fun! Your tips are perfect and I really love the little towels in the basket! AND I really love you talented babe! xo

• February 21, 2019 / 10:48 pm

Your St. Paddy’s day tray is green perfection. I think I’m going to jump straight to spring now that I’m done with Valentine’s Day. These things are so darn fun! XO

2. Penny @ pennyspassion.blogspot
    February 18, 2019 / 8:05 am

I love your tray ideas! I just got a three tiered tray last fall and am having so much fun changing it for every holiday. St. Patrick’s Day is up next!

Thanks so much Penny! They are a great creative outlet. Happy decorating! XO

3. Holly Breton
    February 18, 2019 / 8:36 am

LOVE these ideas- really need to add a tiered tray to our kitchen- appreciate your inspiration!

Oh yes Holly! You need one? So fun to play around with. XO

4. Kim Taylor
    February 18, 2019 / 8:50 am

Love this post! I was so not confident in my tiered tray but I am getting better!! That is my favorite stuff to look for! I may have to go out into kirklands and target and hobby lobby today! I have a few items for St Patricks day. I think I need a few more!

• February 21, 2019 / 10:39 pm

I saw yours, and it was adorable. I think you did a dynamite job. XO

5. February 18, 2019 / 8:51 am

So much cute stuff to decorate the tray with. I love that hammered tiered try you shared. I love all of these ideas and inspiration!

Thank you Jenna and I’m so happy you enjoyed the post! XO

Aw, thank you Jodie! They are a lot of fun to put together. XO

Oh course you would Rebecca Jo! I bet you’d do a great job. Thanks so much! XO

February 18, 2019 / 11:52 am

The tiered tray has taken on a life of it’s own! I decorated mine for St. Patrick’s Day Saturday morning and I think I like it best of all the decor I’ve done so far. Looks like the wooden tray has come down in price again. I am telling myself i do not need another one.
    Thanks for all your love and support friend!

• February 21, 2019 / 10:39 pm

Aint that the truth. I love your St. Patricks day themed one. I need to redo my Valentine’s one now for more spring like decor. XO

7. February 18, 2019 / 2:20 pm

This is so helpful! I kind of struggle pulling together enough things to put on my tray. I love my new wooden one from Amazon. I’m going to start browsing more of the little items at TJ Maxx and Hobby Lobby looking for things to add to my collection. We have a Kirklands here, but I rarely go…need to check it out. Hope you have a wonderful week!

• February 21, 2019 / 10:39 pm

I’m so glad, Tanya! I find myself constantly looking for little things to go on them now. I may have developed a nasty habit. HA! Can’t wait to see yours. XO

8. February 18, 2019 / 2:50 pm

I got a metal tiered tray for Christmas and still haven’t decorated it! It’s on my list of things to do. I love your tips! I think sometimes people forget that you can shop your home first instead of buying all new things!

WHAT??? Oh I can’t wait to see what you do with it. Please show us! XO

February 18, 2019 / 3:29 pm

Such a cute post, Lisa and one that will be a hit I am sure!!! These tiered trays are SO popular right now and I really need to create one for after the Spring that is an everyday tray! I do have a lot of items I can use, tho and it is alway nice to shop ones own house!

Thanks Carrie! You have an entire store in your basement. LOL

10. February 18, 2019 / 3:49 pm

Very nice displays and tips, Lisa. It made me think one would be a nice place to choral those small souvineer things we/I pick up and aren’t sure what to do with when we get home.

Thanks Kim! A travel “themed” one would be super cute. I love that idea! XO

11. Savvy Southern Chic
    February 18, 2019 / 4:04 pm

Love your displays. I have wanted a tiered tray to decorate since two Christmases ago but just got around to starting the hunt for one this weekend. Home goods had some, but not quite what I wanted. Still looking.

• February 21, 2019 / 10:39 pm

I’m sure you’ll find what your looking for eventually and be so happy with it. XO

12. February 18, 2019 / 5:27 pm

I see these trays all the time but I’ve never had one and not sure I want one. I think I’ll just continue to admire everyone else’s. :o)) Yours sure do look good. I do have a great place for one and just may have to rethink what I just said. And, I certainly have plenty to put on one. Happy new week Lisa!

13. February 18, 2019 / 6:01 pm

Great post Lisa! You know you’re a big reason why I have my tiered tray and I love it! They are great for those who need to save space. I didn’t have a place for one in our Georgia home but yay for Florida spaces! Lol. You’re so creative with yours… from the signs to spools of twine! I love it and the polka dots too. ???

• February 21, 2019 / 10:39 pm

Thanks Chrissy! Yours looks so awesome. I love that we all share a love for these trays! XO

14. J. Hall
    February 18, 2019 / 10:32 pm

Love this post! I’ve seen these in magazines, on blogs and in stores and have always liked them. I never bought one knowing I’d have a difficult time designing one the way I’d seen them displayed. Great ideas here, Lisa, I might decide to pop for one…maybe. 🙂

• February 21, 2019 / 10:39 pm

Oh I hope you do!!! Just keep piling the stuff on?. There’s no right or wrong way. I bet it would be darling!!! XOXO

15. February 19, 2019 / 4:00 am

Your trays look great! 🙂 I saw one of these in store the other day and I was so tempted to get it, they are so fun! 🙂

Hope that your week is off to a wonderful start. The Weekday Wear Linkup is live on my blog and I’d love you to join! 🙂

Away From The Blue

• February 21, 2019 / 10:39 pm

Thank you sweet Mica! You should definitely grab one and have some fun with it! XO

16. February 19, 2019 / 5:13 am

Well done, Lisa, so pretty. It makes so much sense to keep the bits and bobs together in one there’s place, keeping the surrounding area clear. And so much simpler to make the seasonal switches. Lovely my friend, Mary x.
    thepoutingpensioner.blogspot.com

• February 21, 2019 / 10:39 pm

They are a lot of fun to play with and decorate. Thanks sweet lady! XO

17. February 19, 2019 / 11:33 am

Great tips! Your tiered trays are so cute! Love those little spools! I always try to find things around the house first before I hit the stores.

Thank you Jill. They are really fun to play around with. XO

18. February 19, 2019 / 11:40 am

This post has convinced me I need a cute tired tray! I don’t have one…yet. But I love how you can change them with the seasons!

Brooke
    Pumps and Push-Ups

• February 21, 2019 / 10:29 pm

WOOHOO!!! You won’t regret it. Can’t wait to see what you do with it. XOXO

• February 21, 2019 / 10:29 pm

Thank you so much, Dori! That means the world to me. XOXO

19. February 19, 2019 / 5:04 pm

HOW DID I MISS THIS POST YESTERDAY?? I am SOOO glad you did this, Girlie! I TOLD you that you needed to because you’re SOOO good at it! I plan to link to this post in a post of my own in a few weeks!

• February 21, 2019 / 10:29 pm

LOL…It’s so easy to miss posts. I’m glad you saw it though. I can’t wait to see yours all dolled up!!!! XO

20. babychaser
    March 4, 2019 / 11:14 am

Thanks for the tips! I’m new to the whole tiered tray thing and it’s harder than I expected. 🙂 Pinning for later!

Here from Over the Moon!