The Power of the Cardigan and Ageless Style

Welcome to another edition of the Ageless Style link up. The first Tuesday of every month ten over 40 bloggers present a different style theme and show a myriad of ways to wear it, all the while proving you can still be fashionable and on trend over 40 and beyond.

September was my month to choose our theme, and with the ever-growing popularity of cardigans I thought what better prompt than “The Power of the Cardigan”.

Up until last year I had never worn long cardigans. I had plenty of short or cropped cardigans that all buttoned up the front, but hadn’t ventured out past that. I was curious about the origin of cardigans so I turned to our good friend Google who sent me to Wikipedia and here’s what I learned:

The term originally referred only to a knitted sleeveless vest, but expanded to other types of garment over time. Coco Chanel is credited with popularizing cardigans for women because “she hated how tight-necked men’s sweaters messed up her hair when she pulled them over her head.”[6] The garment is mostly associated with the college culture of the Roaring Twenties and early 1930s, being also popular throughout the 1950s, the 1970s and the 1990s. Cardigans have also regained popularity during the 2010s.
(taken from Wikipedia)

So it looks like about every 20 years the cardigan makes a comeback and Thank You, Coco for your foresight. #thatswhyshescocoandimnot I have happily embraced the cardigan and gone from zero to sixty in a short time adding multiple cardigans to my closet.

I’m sharing a look back at some of my everyday ways I wear a cardigan. Honestly, more times than not, I have a cardigan with me even if it’s 90+ degrees out. Stores and restaurants are always cold and I can’t stand being cold…except for at night when I’m trying to sleep. Crazy, I know! #menopauseisabeast

For any items still available I’ll link under the picture and at the bottom I’ll share a lot of great cardigan options, and believe me, there are plenty out there at all price points. See, that’s ‘the power of the cardigan’, something for everyone and versatile year round.

JEANS / TEE / BOOTIES / EARRINGS

JEANS / CARDIGANWEDGES / NECKLACE

JEANS / TOP / NECKLACE

JEANS / CHAMBRAY SHIRT / MULES / NECKLACE

SWEATER / BOOTIES / NECKLACE / EARRINGS

JEANS / TOP / SWEATER /  NECKLACE  (DESIGN BOTH IN COLOR BAR) / EARRINGS

SO MANY CARDIGAN OPTIONS….

Each month we invite another over 40 blogger as a guest host. I didn’t have to think twice about asking my sweet friend Andrea from Living on Cloud Nine to join us, and was thrilled when she agreed.

Andrea has the most wonderful sense of style and her blogging doesn’t stop there. This lady can cook and makes you want to try every.single.thing. She has a darling family and shares her life and loves with us weekly. If you aren’t already “following” her, you’re going to want to change that.

Find Andrea’s blog here and on Bloglovin’ / Pinterest / Google+ / Twitter

Daenel ~ Living outside the stacks bloginstagrampinteresttwitter

Debbie ~ Fashion Fairy Dust bloglovinbloginstagrampinterestfacebooktwitter

Jennie ~ A Pocketful of Polka Dots bloginstagramfacebookpinteresttwitterbloglovin

Jodie ~ Jodie’s Touch of Style blogfacebookinstagrampinterestbloglovintwitter

Jonet ~ Fabulously Chic Over 50 blog,  facebook, , instagrampinteresttwitter

Kellyann ~ This Blonde’s Shopping Bag bloginstagrambloglovintwitter

Lisa ~ Coast to Coast blogfacebookinstagramtwitterpinterest

Paula ~ Dimples on my What blogfacebookpinterestinstagramtwitter

Shelly ~ The Queen in Between bloginstagrambloglovinpinterestfacebook

Loading InLinkz ...
” alt=”The Power of the Cardigan”/>

September 4, 2018 / 7:23 am

You sweet darling! Thank you for your kind words and again, honored for the invite! Girl, you know how to Cardi Party as Shelly would say! You have a spectacular cardigan collection and shine in each one. If I had to pick a favorite it’d be the long black one because that black and white ensemble is Smokin Sweet!!!! Hugs on your day dear friend!

• September 4, 2018 / 8:19 pm

You’re such a doll. So very happy you joined us. You have the best style!! XO

September 4, 2018 / 9:41 am

I sure love all of your long cardigans! My favorite look of course is the one with the grey cardi, denim top, and white jeans – I love your accessories and your hair!!! Thank goodness Coco was so inventive, honestly she was brilliant because the cardigan has certainly stood the test of time. Cardis are indeed powerful, great theme my friend!

• September 4, 2018 / 8:18 pm

Well thank you friend. I’m pretty sure I was talking to you when the them was “born”, so thanks for the inso!!! XO

3. September 4, 2018 / 10:26 am

I’m the same way…I didn’t appreciate the longer cardigans at first. And now?? I’m all about how great they are!! In fact, I’ve packed 2 of them for our Alaska cruise!!!

• September 4, 2018 / 8:17 pm

You’re going to have so much fun and cardigans will be perfect for that! Enjoy every minute!!

4. Jonet Gleason Wooten
    September 4, 2018 / 10:36 am

You have a fabulous collection of cardigans, my friend. I love the pop of yellow on one of them, so scrumptious. Love your hilarious #YouCrackMeUp.

Xo, Joet

• September 4, 2018 / 8:16 pm

Thanks Jonet and always happy to provide comedy?

5. September 4, 2018 / 10:39 am

All great looks! I really love the checked top with the bow styled with the long cardi. I have just started buying a few long cardis after loving how they looked on other bloggers, such as yourself. They work great with dresses too! I have more of the short cardigans, just like how you started with them!
    jess xx

• September 4, 2018 / 8:16 pm

A long cardigan would be perfect for you with your nice tall frame. Of course you look great in everything. Have a great week, Jess! XO

6. leaculp
    September 4, 2018 / 2:44 pm

I have several mid-length and long cardigans and do not wear them like I should. Think I’ll change that. You look great in everyone of yours. I do just like you, cut the air down to 65 at night for sleeping. I have to have a cold house to sleep. :o))

• September 4, 2018 / 8:14 pm

Thanks Lea! Yes, I sleep so much better when it’s cold. 😉

7. Kim Taylor
    September 4, 2018 / 8:03 pm

Love me a cute cardigan and I am always carrying one with me too! Our movie theaters and restuarants are SO COLD! I like to find cute ones at TJ Maxx, Nordstrom Rack and Target! Oh and BTW….I can’t remember if I told you or not but ALL 3 pair of shoes from Target went back to Target on Friday! HA! Just goes to show that being frugal doesn’t always work in my favor. (hey I tried) They did not feel good on the feet and at 54 years of age….life is too short to not wear comfortable shoes! Have a great week! and have fun in Charleston! We did a carriage ride tour and it was a lot of fun!

• September 4, 2018 / 8:14 pm

Too bad about the shoes, but you are 100% right. The mule espadrilles are going back too. They won’t stay on my feet. HA! We just booked a 2 hr walking tour and I’m pretty sure will do a carriage ride too. Thanks Kim!

• Kim Taylor
        September 4, 2018 / 9:12 pm

Ha! I can’t wear mules either! My feet come right out. Oh gosh I would love a walking tour. enjoy!

8. September 5, 2018 / 1:18 am

Yours was such a good choice for this month’s topic. I so believe in the power of the cardi, yet I fought hard against them in my teens, but that was the 60s so it’s no surprise from your research that my mum’s generation were still pushing the cardi in a decade that was jumping this powerful woollie. Love your selection of look-back pics, and yes, I’m still lusting after your cocoon cardi!
    Hugs my pretty, x.

• September 5, 2018 / 8:10 am

Thanks Mary! Dang, I’m sorry you don’t have access to the circle Cardi over there. XOXO

9. Paula Mullins Holloway
    September 5, 2018 / 6:41 am

You went all out for this post Lisa! I’m loving every. single. cardi. you are showcasing. You are so right, a cardigan is a power piece.

hugs,
    Paula

• September 5, 2018 / 8:09 am

Thanks so much Jessi!!! Hope your having a great week!!!
      XO

• September 5, 2018 / 12:29 pm

You’re such a sweetie! What would we do if our husbands didn’t tease us? Hope you’re feeling better?

10. September 5, 2018 / 7:42 pm

Thank you for the history lesson! I love learning the background of common items. Your cardigans are all great. I’m such a fan of the longer ones because they’re so cozy — even thought it’s hot outside, like you said, it’s freezing on the inside.

11. September 6, 2018 / 4:03 pm

You wear a long cardigan so well lady! Loved the history…who knew! I love that they hide my love handles. haha

12. Gustavo Catarino
    September 6, 2018 / 5:56 pm

Loved that jeans, it seems a good fit.
    There’s a web store with a lot of good ideas as well that a friend of mine started. They have plenty of phone cases and tote bags with creative artworks. The name is ArtishUp and one of their collections I think you may like is the Polka dot, you can find it here https://artishup.com/collections/polka-dot

13. Laura
    September 7, 2018 / 9:56 am

You have some fabulous cardigans! I love the layering power of them, but I’ve been a fan of the longer ones lately. I find the shorter style that hit at my waist just make me look larger on top and the longer style smooths it all out more!