Keeping Cool In The Summer Heat and Doing It With Style

Hey friends! I bet many of you might be on vacation this week for the 4th. Having a holiday in the middle of the week isn’t really my favorite, but I’ll take a day off whenever possible. I guess it’s really kind of funny that I’d even care about a day off since I don’t work outside of the home, but I do like when Kent has a day off. Midweek holidays are hard because you still have to go to work the next day so you can’t enjoy them with the ease of one that falls right before the weekend.

Today is the first Tuesday of July and that means it’s time for another installment of the Ageless Style Link-up.

The Ageless Style Link-Up – The first Tuesday of every month ten over 40 bloggers present a different style theme and show a myriad of ways to wear it, all the while proving you can still be fashionable and on trend over 40 and beyond.

Kellyann picked our theme for July and nailed it. We’re talking about keeping cool in the summer heat. Well since the summer heat is really ramping up across a lot of the country, this is the perfect time to share our secret (or not so secret) ways we choose to stay cool. True story: As I was taking these pictures (yesterday) it was in the mid 70’s and the wind was blowing. I know for you girls in the hot and humid states this may sound like heaven, but this southern at heart girl is happiest when there’s a heat wave rolling through.

I’ve shared numerous times that I’m not much of a shorts girl, but I do love to wear a flowy little dress to keep cool when the temps are high. I picked this cute striped dress up earlier this season on a whim when I ran into Old Navy one day. This dress is a winner on so many levels, but what really reeled me in was that it was lined. YES! Nothing is worse than buying a dress to keep cool and then having to add a slip to it so you don’t see straight through it.

A lot of little dresses like this lend themselves to being dressed up a little or can be worn really casual like I wore it here. I just added my favorite Tory Burch sandals and a few of my favorite accessories and I was ready to roll. These days when the temps are hot I find myself pulling my hair up in a ponytail. It’s so easy and now that I’m really trying to give my hair a break from so much blow-drying and straightening, a ponytail is the easiest answer. I also like wearing it pulled up because I can showcase so many of my fun earrings.

You can also see here that this same dress can be gussied up a little just by adding a fun wedge and some different accessories. Versatile pieces like this are great for summer travel too. If you feel like dressing up a little more for dinner out, just put on the wedges, but if you find yourself just wanting to be cool and comfortable you can stick with flats sandals or even flip-flops.

I like to have an outer layer with me even when it’s really hot outside. Like yesterday after I took these pictures I was running a few errands, one of which was Target. I don’t know about you, but our Target borders on a meat locker half the time and I can’t function and bargain hunt when my brain is fighting my body for warmth. You’d think someone who suffers from hot flashes at the most inopportune times wouldn’t have to worry about being cold, but trust me friends, it happens. As Kent likes to say, I’m “thermally challenged”. You ladies in the prime of life know exactly what I’m talking about.

Here are just a few of the other ways I’ve chosen to keep cool in dresses this year.

There are so many darling little dresses available and I find myself having a real moment with them this year. Check some of these out for yourself and great news, most if not all of them are on sale.

The 4th of July also means major sales are going on. Yesterday I shared some of my favorite accessories  from Accessory Concierge and they are all 40% off right now. (including the colorful tassel necklace in this post) If you missed that post, just click HERE.

This months guest host is Cheryl from Northwest Mountain Living.  Cheryl is just the cutest and her style is laid back and put together. She just has this calming effect on me whenever I read her blog. What a gift. She also happens to look cute as can be in whatever she’s wearing and todays kimono is no exception. Make sure you pop over and see what she has to share, and then be sure to hit the other members of our Ageless Style team. There is a wealth of ideas and knowledge among all these bloggers.

Find Cheryl here: BLOG / PINTEREST / BLOGLOVIN / INSTAGRAM

Daenel ~ Living outside the stacks bloginstagrampinteresttwitter

Debbie ~ Fashion Fairy Dust bloglovinbloginstagrampinterestfacebooktwitter

Jennie ~ A Pocketful of Polka Dots bloginstagramfacebookpinteresttwitterbloglovin

Jodie ~ Jodie’s Touch of Style blogfacebookinstagrampinterestbloglovintwitter

Jonet ~ Fabulously Chic Over 50 blog,  facebook, , instagrampinteresttwitter

Kellyann ~ This Blonde’s Shopping Bag bloginstagrambloglovintwitter

Lisa ~ Coast to Coast blogfacebookinstagramtwitterpinterest

Paula ~ Dimples on my What blogfacebookpinterestinstagramtwitter

Shelly ~ The Queen in Between bloginstagrambloglovinpinterestfacebook

Loading InLinkz ...

• July 3, 2018 / 6:25 pm

Thanks Jodie! I hate having to think about slips and then they stick to you too. YUCK!

1. July 3, 2018 / 11:13 am

Lisa, this dress is supremely adorable! You can totally style it so many different ways, too. I just strolled through Old Navy yesterday with the intention of maybe buying one thing…$100 later..well, you know that story! And I am quite familiar with the heat flash story. This winter I suffered the worst cold flashes ever and was hoping they would continue into the summer…and keep me cool. But alas, heat flashes abound and I feel like I’m dying!

Shelbee

• July 3, 2018 / 6:25 pm

Well you are just too sweet Shelbee. Thanks so much. Isn’t that the way it always goes? Kent and I went to Costco for cherries the other day and $140 later, out we came. LOL XO

2. Paula Holloway
    July 3, 2018 / 11:19 am

You have the CUTEST little dresses and look the CUTEST in them Lisa. Love the tiered “ ruffle” on this one.

Hugs,
    Paula

• July 3, 2018 / 6:24 pm

Aw, thanks so much Paula! You are so sweet. I loved your dress today too. XO

July 3, 2018 / 12:17 pm

I LOVE this dress on you. I want it but I’m afraid I’ll look pregnant, lol. What size are you wearing? It looks like they only have a small left, will that fit me? Why am I asking you questions here? I’ll MP you like the cool lady I am! Ha!
    I am thermally challenged as well. I freeze half the time and then I’m melting the other half of the time. Can these hormones just adjust already???
    Cute as a button is what you are in this dress!

• July 3, 2018 / 6:23 pm

You are such a sweetie. Great prompt friend. Now, what on Earth am I going to pull out for next month. Aye-yai-yai. Hope you had fun at the fire works. XO

4. July 3, 2018 / 7:47 pm

I love to wear dresses in the summer, too, and you’re right! It’s especially nice when cute dresses are lined. Slips just drive me nuts!! And yes!! Please send us some 70 degree weather in Louisiana. I am definitely “thermally challenged.”

• July 4, 2018 / 9:01 am

Slips are the worst. They are sticky ? I wish I could share these 70 degrees days with you. We all want what we don’t have. I like my summer to feel like summer…LOL Happy 4th friend!! XO

July 4, 2018 / 9:19 am

This is one of my all time favorite dresses on you! I wanted it so bad but it sold out quick! Wanted to tell you 3 things: Happy 4th, you’re adorable and I featured your adorable ness on TBB today! xo

• July 6, 2018 / 6:28 pm

Well thank you friend! It’s easy peasy. Thanks so much for the feature too. You are such an angel! XOXO

July 4, 2018 / 9:37 am

I saw you in this dress on IG and I was just like WOW that is THE cutest dress ever. You know I love blue/white stripes. I already have a blue/white striped dress, but gosh I think I love this one even more. I really think this is one of my favorite dresses I’ve seen you wear this summer and you’ve had A LOT of cute dresses you’ve shared this summer!

• July 6, 2018 / 6:28 pm

Aw, thanks Carrie! It’s such an easy one to wear and so comfortable. I loved that green romper you wore yesterday. Really cute!!! Hope you have a great weekend! XOXO

7. July 4, 2018 / 11:09 am

Lisa, I used to be always cold, and ever since perimenopause not any longer! 🙂 You have the best dresses and this is darling on you! Love the style and I do the same thing with my hair in a ponytail to show the earrings and to keep cooler. Ill take 70 degrees, it is HOT in the South! I love dresses too in the summer!
    Happy 4th!
    thanks for linking!
    jess xx

• July 6, 2018 / 6:29 pm

Now I just can’t get regulated. I’m hot then cold. I have to have it cold at night to sleep though and my husband hates it. HA! Oh well, what ya’ gonna’ do? He can just have more covers. LOL Have a great weekend!! XOXO

8. Laura
    July 4, 2018 / 12:29 pm

That thermally challenged crack had me chuckling! That is me to a T! I always keep a cardigan or denim jacket handy in the summer to avoid the AC freeze. That dress is so cute on you!

• July 6, 2018 / 6:27 pm

Happy to provide comic relief. It’s hard to get my temp right these days and my husband is always complaining. LOL Oh well? Congrats on the house selling so fast. That’s awesome!!!
      Have a great weekend!

9. July 4, 2018 / 1:51 pm

Love, love, love that dress. So cute and cool for the summer. Thanks for hosting the link-up. I saw it on Cheryl’s site. It’s so great there is a group of over 40 style bloggers working together.

• July 6, 2018 / 5:47 pm

Thanks Julie! So happy you found the link up!!! Have a great weekend! XO

10. Cheryl Tucker
    July 5, 2018 / 5:25 am

You can’t beat a little summer dress and yours is fabulous! I agree the most comfortable way to stay cool in the heat is with a flowing dress and they are so easy to dress up or down. Perfect! Thank you so much for letting me participate this week as co-host! It’s been an honor!
    Cheryl

• July 6, 2018 / 5:47 pm

Thanks Cheryl and thanks so much for joining us!!! Happy weekend! XO

11. Maureen O
    July 5, 2018 / 10:49 am

This dress is too cute! It’s a summer essential and I love that it came lined. I am slowly learning to make sure when I buy a dress to always check for lining. I too wear a longer sleeve even on hot days. I like it as an extra protection from the heat but also from the blasting AC everywhere else!

Maureen | http://www.littlemisscasual.com

• July 6, 2018 / 5:46 pm

Thanks Maureen. It’s so easy to forget details like that until it’s too late. Have a great weekend! XO

12. Holly Breton
    July 6, 2018 / 5:13 am

You still look 25 Lisa! Love your style as always-have a great weekend! 🙂

• July 6, 2018 / 5:46 pm

Oh my gosh Holly!!! You are much too kind, but I sure love you for it! Happy weekend sweet girl!!! XOXO

13. Mummabstylish Mummabstylish
    July 7, 2018 / 10:21 am

What a cutsey little dress, I love it! Thanks for joining the #chicandstylish #linkup Jacqui Mummabstylish

14. July 8, 2018 / 2:21 pm

How cute are you?!? 🙂 And I can so relate to the problem of being too cold in stores–I usually bring a sweater or jacket with me just in case!

• July 17, 2018 / 8:39 pm