Calling All Chocoholics

I know it’s no secret that our household is all about the chocolate and when it comes time for a celebratory dessert 99% of the time it will be chocolate. The other 1% would be when someone has temporarily taken leave of their senses.

Last month was Kent’s birthday and his dessert of choice was an old favorite. I’ve been making this for special occasions longer than I can remember, but it had been a few years since we’d had it.

This recipe is one that I found in a Southern Living magazine years ago. The name couldn’t be more fitting for this. Once you take a bite all that’s left to say is, “that’s incredible”. I have a binder make that two binders of recipes that I’ve collected over the years and I affectionately refer to it them as my bible.

There aren’t many desserts that I can’t finish an entire piece in one sitting, but this one tests me and if you make it, you’ll understand why. Oh the richness. This is beyond decadent. And while it’s a labor of love due to the steps, it’s really not hard, just time consuming.

Brownie Layer

Pudding Layer

Marshmallow, Pecans & Mini Chocolate Chips Layer

Ganache Layers

Finishing Touches

That’s Incredible Cake

(Carolyn Jones – Foley, Alabama)

Ingredients for all layers

1c Sugar

1/2 c A-P flour

1/2 c melted shortening

1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder

1/4 c water

1 t vanilla extract

1/2 t baking powder

1/4 t salt

2 lge eggs

1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 c mini marshmallows

1/2 c chopped pecans

1/2 c mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Chocolate Pudding (ingredients listed below)

2 c whipping cream

16 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Brownie Layer

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of a 10″ springform pan with parchment paper. Grease the sides of the pan.

Stir together first 9 ingredients until well blended; fold in 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Pour batter into prepared springform pan and spread evenly over the bottom.

Bake on middle rack for 20-25 minutes. 

Remove from oven, and sprinkle top evenly with marshmallows, pecans and 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips. 

While the brownie is baking make the pudding layer.

Chocolate Pudding

4 cups whipping cream

6 T corn starch

1 c sugar

1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 t vanilla extract

Stir together 6 T of the cream and the 6 T cornstarch to make a paste.

Bring remaining cream to a simmer in a 2qt saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the cornstarch mixture, sugar, chocolate chips and vanilla; cook, stirring constantly until the chocolate melts. Cook mixture, stirring often, 8 minutes or until thick and creamy. (I have occasionally had to strain this through a fine sieve because the cornstarch would slightly lump, so don’t be upset if that happens)

Pour the hot pudding over the brownie with marshmallow, pecans and mini chocolate chips on it. (some of the marshmallows may melt and rise up through the pudding)

Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.


Heat 2 c heavy cream in a saucepan to a simmer. Pour over 16 oz semi-sweet chocolate and let stand 5 minutes. Stir until melted and smooth. Let ganache stand 1 hour, stirring occasionally until it’s a spreading consistency. Remove the sides of the springform pan; pour and spread the mixture evenly on top and smooth down on sides. This will usually take 3-4 layers letting it cool in the fridge for a few minutes in between.

Sprinkle extra chopped pecans around the edge.

As I already said, this is super rich and so you only need a piece. I take the remainder of the cake, slice it, let the slices freeze on a sheet pan and then wrap them individually and put them in a Ziploc bag. We will pull out a piece for each of us and let it thaw as a treat from time to time. So I guess you could say this is the dessert that keeps on giving.

Let me know if you try it and how much you love it.

Happy hump day friends!



1 Comment

  1. February 2, 2022 / 4:20 pm

    belly laugh what an impressive internet site truly an cyberspace authorization when it comes to this subject thank you for unselfish this important insight 🤬

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

I link to items using affiliate links. When you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase I may receive a commission. There is no additional cost to you. Thank you so much for supporting my blog!

Trinny London