Weekend Review – Travel Fun and Nightmares

As I mentioned last week we left Friday for a short trip to Oklahoma to visit Kent’s parents. They recently moved into a retirement community that will accommodate their needs during their future golden years. They are currently in the independent area where they have their own little home, but should need arise they can move to assisted living or even the nursing home portion if called for.

We had an early morning flight at 7:25 so we left our house at 5:15 in order to get to the parking facility and then catch a shuttle to the airport in time to make the flight. We would get into Oklahoma City around 2:00 and then have the rest of the day to spend with them.We got to the airport about 6:00 and both of our flights had been CANCELLED. UGH!!! To say we were stressed out is an understatement. The real wrench in the works was that Benny was at the airport in Nashville about to board a plane so he could meet us and we were in a long line of people waiting to see if we could be re-booked on another flight. It was finally our turn and I was literally talking on the phone to Benny and the agent at the same time so he’d know whether to get on the plane or not. We got booked on afternoon flights so he went on and our friend picked him up and he spent the afternoon and evening with them. We got to their house at 1:30 in the morning. Talk about a long day. 

Here’s what I wore the first time.


Let me just say that I loved my new circle cardigan and wore it all weekend. Oh my softness. It’s heavenly.

So now that our flight wasn’t leaving until 3:15 (which turned into 4:30) we went back home. I decided since we’d be traveling late I’d get comfy.

Take 2:


What do you do when you’re killing time waiting on a flight after a stressful day? You eat a delicious hot fudge Sunday. Disclaimer: I totally fell off the wagon for the weekend, but I climbed back on it yesterday.

I finally had an opportunity to catch up on my catalogs.

So Saturday we went over to see Kent’s mom and dad and spend the day with them. We didn’t stay with them because they don’t have space in their new little home, but that’s OK because we’re happy to have an excuse to stay with our friends.

Kent went to University of Oklahoma and he and the kids are big OU fans #boomersooner so we wanted to drive over and show them the campus (and I’d never been either.)

It’s a gorgeous campus and we had a lot of fun walking around. We found a Starbucks and got the grandparents coffee and a treat so they could just sit in the AC while we walked around. Kent’s mom isn’t very mobile.


This is the inside of the library. So beautiful. The OU campus doesn’t lack for beautiful architecture.

Kent took us in a room off the side of the library and found this…

His dad’s dissertation. Pretty cool for the kids to see.

I’m going to assume the sun was so bright that’s why Kent cut most of Benny out of this picture…LOL

We finished up our tour and headed back to Edmond to have dinner at our friends house.

These are friends from when we lived in Richmond and we all had little kids. This couple and the friends we stay with in Nashville were (are) our people. Us mama’s had a play group and spent lots of days together and then on the weekends, we’d spend lots of time together as families. We have so many fun memories with them.

Sunday we all went to church and lunch and then we spent a little more time with Kent’s parents before we left for the airport. 

We’re actually missing Heidi and Jason’s oldest son who’s a few months younger than Benny. Alan is in Michigan doing an internship.

Back to the airport we went and dropped off Benny because his flight was a couple hours ahead of ours. What did we do with the extra time…

You guessed it. More ice cream. And we got to the airport only to find out BOTH of our return flights had been CANCELLED AGAIN. ARE.YOU.KIDDING.ME?!?!?!

It’s a good thing we’ve had such good luck with Southwest in the past because if this had been our first experience, we’d never fly them again.

These girls were tired.

We finally got home Sunday night, which was really Monday morning at 1:00. This weekend we were the poster people for traveler’s aid. If it could go wrong, it did.  I think it will take us a few days to recover but we had a good weekend in spite of all the challenges.

Thanks for indulging me and letting me share an over abundance of pictures. I know my parents will enjoy this post if no one else does😉.

I hope your week has gotten off to a smooth start.




Shop this post


I link to items using affiliate links. When you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase I may receive a commission. There is no additional cost to you. Thank you so much for supporting my blog!

Trinny London */
%d bloggers like this: