One of the meals Katie requested while she was home was Chicken Pot Pie. This is a pretty simple recipe and comes together quickly if you’ve prepped ahead and frozen some rotisserie chicken. It also falls under the category of comfort food in my book. We all love it and have to restrain ourselves to keep from eating the whole thing.
Saute onions and frozen carrots and peas.
Once the onions are translucent sprinkle in the flour and cook for a few minutes.
These are the things you’ll need to have ready next.
This Better Than Bouillon is a gel like mixture that replaces boullion cubes. I find it at Costco but it’s available in all grocery stores.
Add the liquid and let cook until thickened…about 5 minutes.
Stir in the rotisserie chicken and let cook for a few minutes.
Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if desired.
This Bisquick cheese garlic biscuit mix makes a delicious topping for the pot pie.
Mix with water according to directions.
Dollop over the top of the chicken and vegetable mixture.
I like to bake it on a cookie sheet to save the bottom of my oven in case it bubbles over.
Bake 25-30 minutes until biscuit topping is brown and mixture is bubbling around the sides.
Serve with salad or veggie of your choosing. This is such a delicious dish and simple enough for dinner any night but would also be a crowd pleaser for guests.
This is a recipe I adapted from Pinterest. You can find the original HERE.
Let me know if you try and if your family loves it like ours does.
If you’ve missed the previous Thursday’s recipes you can see them by clicking below.
And The Blended Blog for Tasty Tuesday
Chicken Pot Pie
- 4 Chicken Breast, cooked and shredded or 2 cups Rotisserie Chicken
- 4 T Butter
- 1/2 medium Onion, chopped
- 2 T Flour
- 2 C Milk
- 1/4 C Half & Half
- 1/4 C Heavy Cream
- 1 t Better Than Boullion Chicken
- 1/2 t Dried Thyme
- 1 bag Frozen peas and carrots (use half the pack or more. I use 3/4 to get more veggies in)
- 1 pkg Bisquick Garlic Cheese Biscuit Mix
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium high heat
- Add onion and saute until translucent then add carrots and peas and cook until carrots get a little tender
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Gradually whisk in liquid and Better Than Boullion, and bring to a slow boil
- Simmer gently over medium heat until sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes
- Add chicken and thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Pour chicken mixture into prepared casserole dish
- Mix biscuit mix according to package directions and dollop on top of chicken mixture
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until top is browned and sides are bubbly